Saturday, August 22, 2015

It's Time to Study!

So I haven't posted on here since April...mainly because I've been super busy but also because nothing has really happened in this department...no body news, no baby news, no anything.

Well now it's time to update!

I am officially a self-employed wifey who takes care of our home and is working on expanding my crafting business! My husband (you all know he's amazing if you've been reading my blogs) is so encouraging and is so happy to have me home and happy. Of course, one of the main things I'm getting in to right now is researching surrogacy!

Here in Michigan, the laws on surrogacy are very...gray. Some states it's quite clear whether surrogacy is legal or not..but here in Michigan, there's a lot of lawyer involvement and easy ways to "accidentally commit a felony" as one site said. I'm sorry, but accidentally committing a felony is not on my top list of things I'm looking to do in the future. Some of the laws state that if a surrogate is compensated in any way, including gifts of monetary value, it is considered illegal, but paying for doctors visits is legal. If a surrogate is found to have any sort of mental disability (which in some places can even be depression) it is highly illegal and you can go to jail for 5 years for choosing her. Um hi, future surrogate, please don't throw me in jail...thanks!

So now I will research and research and research until my little fingers can't type anymore and my eyes can't read to make sure we are able to create this gift and get this angel in our lives to help us. We are not allowed to use a surrogate through an agency (they sign up for those agencies expecting compensation...ILLEGAL for Michigan fertility clinics to use since they're being paid) so we need to rely on finding a friend, relative or amazing angel stranger to carry our precious cargo for us. I will post, sometime in the future, a "seeking a surrogate" entry in hopes to find some potential surrogates, but for now, we have lots of meetings with fertility clinics and lawyers to get allllll of the vital information we need before we can even begin our process. THIS...my dear friends, is why we are all baby crazy not even a year into our marriage. We don't get the conventional way that most couples do. We can't have a nice night, get pregnant and 9 months later have our awesome kid. It will take years probably for us. We are ready now but that's just not in the future for us at this time. Some judge us saying "wait until you've been married at least a year!" Why? We ARE enjoying our marriage but we are both ready for a family. If you weren't when you first got married, that's you, this is us! We are ready to expand and can't wait to welcome a little miracle to our lives, but for us, our waiting game could be years.

No comments:

Post a Comment