Friday, February 6, 2015

Here's a fun little factoid: did you know it's actually bad for Kidney patients to use normal deodorant or antiperspirant? Why? Because they contain a decent amount of aluminium and impaired kidneys can't filter aluminium causing a build up that could be toxic. Now there is aluminium in several items, so it's pretty much unavoidable, but cutting out whatever you can is helpful. Since deodorant enters your system through your pores, it not only gets into your organs, but also into your skin, and since your impaired kidneys can't filter it, it could lead to dementia or even bone disease.

Now, with that being said, my ever-thoughtful husband sought out and bought me an aluminium free deodorant after I told him this bit of info, lol!

It smells surprisingly decent (kind of like a soapy aloe) and it's a clear gel...however putting it on was...different. It feels very wet and stayed that way for a few minutes,  so I was walking around like Randy from A Christmas Story and felt like shouting "I can't put my arms down!" 

Now why am I posting an entire blog entry about deodorant? Because, it just goes to prove there are more hidden risks for us than you would think. I've been told no for a tattoo (I want one after my transplant), I've been told no for liquor or alcohol, I must reduce sodium and aluminium, can't take multi-vitamins (our levels fluctuate too often and we could be putting too much of something in our system. My doctors put me on a temporary supplement for whatever level I'm lacking at the moment), no to long periods of direct sunlight (our meds), no to pregnancy...you know, the whole reason I started this blog. 

Now you know why my blog is called "The Doctors Tell Me No", because that's what I hear far too much. No deodorant, no multi-vitamins, no babies. I will have my babies though, just not the way people seem to "accidentally" be able to freely do it, then abort or dump their baby in the snow or recycling bin because they don't want it. Seems fair, right? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment